History

The Gilchrist family have a history steeped in horticulture dating back to 1876 when James Gilchrist began growing tomatoes and berries, selling the produce in the local area whilst also providing employment ‘berry picking’.

GP Plantscape’s Head Office is  located in Lanark and although it remains a horticultural based business, has seen many changes from the original fruit growing enterprise. The 1960’s saw a diversification for the Gilchrist family when they erected two large span glasshouses and began the commercial growing of Chrysanthemums and in the early 1970’s opened a retail garden centre at the Pleasance. GP Plantscape, in its form today, providing commercial interior and exterior landscaping services was founded in 1997 by the current MD, Jimmy Gilchrist. Amongst the first customers were Eclipse Blinds at Inchinnan and Whyte and McKay in Glasgow. This was the beginning of an expansion throughout the UK with depots now located at Kelty, Darwen and Leicester. The range of services has also developed over the years to include Festive Displays, Gritting and Snow Clearing Services and Corporate Artwork. Today GP Plantscape enjoys a wide and varied spectrum of customers including partnerships with a number of Facilities Management companies and prestigious commercial clients.

1960’s – Chrysanthemum grown in large span glass house.

1960’s – Chrysanthemum  grown in large span glass house.

1970’s – Garden Centre at Kirkfieldbank.

1970’s – Garden Centre at Kirkfieldbank.

One of the early GP Plantscape Installations.

One of the early GP Plantscape Installations.